In 1881, the Port Huron and Northwestern railroad was extended to Marlette after citizens raised $15,000 (Over $340,000 when adjusted for 2017 inflation) for construction of the tracks. In 1889, the Port Huron and Northwestern Railroad was purchased by the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad. The Marlette Train Depot was built in 1890 by Flint contractor E.M. Stewart to accommodate the station master and passengers. The depot was built with a double waiting room, an office, and a baggage room. It opened the door to a new and enhanced economic potential.